Heirs to the educational and charitable mission of our founder, Mother Élisabeth Bruyère, we, Sisters of Charity of Ottawa, are women consecrated to God who "open new paths, with daring and creativity, in response to new needs, in conformity with the mission of the Congregation."
The charism is actualized in the domains of education, health care and the relief of poverty. This mission is first and foremost a mission of love for our Sisters and for the most vulnerable in our society. We wish to become:
- women of compassion and of charity;
- women of active presence and attentive listening;
- women of communion gathered in the name of Jesus Christ;
- prophetic witnesses of the Father’s compassion.
Thus we wish to prolong the spirit and the mission of Élisabeth Bruyère:
- "May you be of one heart and one mind." (Oct. 7, 1875)
- "The moment we lose our love of the poor, we lose our distinctive spirit." (Aug.22, 1872)
Today, we observe that there are two expressions of the very same MISSION.
- Some Sisters have moved from a collective commitment (our works) to a more individual commitment such as pastoral work, the apostleship of prayer or various forms of volunteer work.
- Other Sisters are always in a collective commitment by overseeing our works (hospitals, schools, orphanages …) in order to respond to the needs of their milieu.
Filled with the mission and the charism of the founder, aware of living in a context of transformation and adaptation, the Congregation of the Sisters of Charity of Ottawa, Institute of consecrated life of pontifical right, emphasizes communion and union among its members as well as the wealth of its various cultures.
We support active participation in the leadership teams of the different countries along with the members of the Congregation, both of which nourish active communion and encourage a lifestyle that celebrates collaboration and interculturality. Together, in harmony and diversity, we plan, find new management tools and make decisions for a better future. We partner with the wider society as well as with our employees and associates.
The values we promote and which guide us:
- communion, respect and joy,
- compassion and listening,
These describe the behaviors which are essential for the carrying out of the mission and the vision.